Without a doubt, I am getting ready for the biggest challenge of my life. On October 16th, 2010, I will be running a half marathon here in Kansas City! That’s 13.1 miles, and yes all at once. Luckily, I am not doing this on my own. I have joined the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training program. Through this program, I have great coaches, mentors and teammates whose support will help me cross the finish line.
More importantly, my commitment to the program is to raise funds for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society in its effort to battle Leukemia and related cancers. These diseases strike some 823,000 Americans each year and acute leukemia is the number one cause of death of children under the age of 15.
One of the greatest contributions of the Society is toward research. Significant progress has been made in the treatment of this disease.
I am not only running this race for the Society, but also in memory of my Grandmother, Oma, who passed away in 2003. She was diagnosed with Acute Leukemia in August of 2003. I lived with her at the time of her diagnoses and watched her battle the disease. I was there for her when she needed me, and I even got to witness her eating a cheeseburger from Wendy's! Oma never ate fast food! I feel very blessed to have had the opportunity to have been there for her when she needed me.
Research is the key to finding a cure, and funding for this research is essential. I have set a personal goal to raise $2010 toward this effort.
As I run the 13.1 half marathon, Oma will be with me in spirit, and your sponsorship will inspire me to run stronger and faster to the finish line. With over 75% of your donation going directly to research, you truly can make a difference.
If possible, please make a donation on my webpage. Please spread the word in hopes of accomplishing my goals.
http://pages.teamintraining.org/mid/kc10/mstorey
Thank you so much for your support and generosity!
16 years ago

2 comments:
Wow, Michelle. I am so impressed. I LOVE this kind of thing. Best of luck to you!!
Way to go Michelle!!!
Post a Comment